Friday 22 March 2013

My love for Food

 “What is the importance of food in our life”? Is it that we eat to live, or we eat because it appeals to our taste buds? I grew up in a household where, ‘to live it’s important to eat’. Hence  the abundance of traditional cooking, which had been passed down from generation to generation.
I come from a middle class family where both my parents worked very hard to keep me and my sister comfortable. My mom had to juggle cooking, maintaining the house and working, so there was hardly any experimenting in the kitchen, except during Diwali where her treats were an absolute delicacy.

In my 30 years on this earth I have been cooking for the past 1 year. The reason I wasn't allowed   in the kitchen was because I have cooked unwashed rice, blasted the cooker ( I forgot  to put  water to boil potato), burnt down the kitchen. It was simple no one told me how to cook rice, or that the cooker needs water. I was considered too dangerous in the kitchen. So my passion for food was limited to only restaurant food that I enjoyed wherever I traveled.

I got married in 2012. I had my own kitchen (which I could burn down and no one would grumble lolz).And my husband was ready to eat whatever I put on the table. This is when my passion for food from “eating to live   transformed to reason to live”. Cooking food is not about timing or how hard we have to work after coming back from office, it’s  about loving the time spent in the kitchen. Relishing the fragrance and tasting after every step.   

I have not restricted myself to traditional   cooking. And when I do cook traditional food I take my mom's help. My cooking involves from quick food to old recipes, from Indian to continental, from recipes all around the world. I try my best not to repeat recipes. It’s a surprise for my husband and guests to relish on a new menu that I cook up.                                

It’s time to sign off, I hope you too find your passion and I hope its food.

No comments:

Post a Comment